Monday, April 03, 2006

Growing Up Fast



Wow, I can't believe that I have a son who doesn't wear diapers anymore, sleeps in a big boy bed, and has full length conversations on the phone with his Meemaw and Peepaw. It's kinda scary how they're born, they start to eat baby food, and then all of a sudden they're potty trained. Speaking of being potty trained, I guess I finally pushed through and did it! After Christmas, I decided that January was going to be the big month of "goeen on da toelet" as Jack puts it.

The first 2 days of training began and let's just say he wasn't getting it. I'd put him on the toilet for like 15 minutes and as soon as he got down, he would pee on Grammy's carpet. The thought of not having anymore children actually crossed my mind. Thankfully I don't feel that way anymore. After much frustration into the 2nd day, the brilliant idea of praying came to mind. :)

So, the Lord gave me new patience and some fresh ideas to try on the 3rd day. Grammy said that when Jimmy was little, he would stand on a stool and try to aim into the toilet and that seemed to work. So, we got the stool and tried it, and what do ya know...it worked for us too! It's amazing how at the age of 2 1/2, a little boy has absolutely no shame. I would put him on the stool and give him 2 "guys" to play with. Standing there with his pants around his ankles, he would just begin to dialog back and forth with his little men. I saw him and smiled after 2 days of "the deer caught in headlights" look.

Wow, it's amazing how when you actually ask the Lord for help, He will help you. Poor little guy finally got the Snowman Pez dispenser he was promised once he went on the toilet. And let me just tell you that that little snowman was emptied as fast as it was filled.

I definitely have faith for those future obstacles that come my way. I know that the Lord's grace is truly sufficient and all I need for each season of my life. And there aren't too many things cuter than a tiny hiney in little Spiderman undies. :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Seitler said...

Oh! An update! YAY! :D

Keep 'em coming! ;)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

He is so fun. I love the picture of him and his beloved Spidey.

Thanks for the testimony about how simple prayers for everyday things result in much blessing, power, and grace. Thanks for your example of humility and faith.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Jack

2:41 PM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

I'm SO glad to you back blooging,Ab! I've missed your little stories. What a hurdle potty training can be at the time, but how quickly you forget all about it when they can "go" on their own. And I agree about the tiny hiney in Spidey undies...ain't nothin' cuter.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

I meant blogging, not blooging. What is blooging, anyway?

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, do boys ever have any shame when it comes to that stuff? I've never met one. Glad to have you back blogging! I was worried that you'd quit for good!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Beth Young said...

Ab, that is such a cute story. Gabe is in that potty training stage again and when we have a rough spot you have encouraged me to remember to pray. Why is that you forget the one thing that can change your life??!!!! THANKS! Love ya girl.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

The Lord brought to mind this post the other day when I had resigned myself in despair that the boys will never eat meat or veggies.
Now, I'm praying about it and trying not to worry.
Thanks for your example and the reminder we all need often to pray!

2:18 PM  
Blogger a suburban housewife said...

Are you, by any chance, the abby who is a vocalist on many of my PDI music cd's?

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home